About Me

My photo
I've been attending school for 18 consecutive years, and as of now, I am a super SUPER senior at UTK -- Go VOLs! My major is in Mathematics and my minor is in Secondary Education. Thus, I aspire to be a high school math teacher. *I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to teach Calculus*... Now let's go and make some dreams come true!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WebQuest and Ramblings...

I entered the world of WebQuests last week, and I've come to this conclusion: How amazingly awesome!  I went onto this website (which I think is the best page for WebQuests) and it made it so easy for me to search for my specific topic because it has it's own "search engine."  So I went on and chose "Math" for "9-12" grade, and found an awesome WebQuest that I actually did for my Geometry class my Freshman year!  What a great idea:  I remember my teacher giving us this assignment, and the instructions were covered in two pages... WebQuest is that solution that all of us who are sensitive to "tree-killing" need!  In addition, WebQuest allows teachers to add a lot more information than what a couple of worksheets can offer.  The assignment consisted of making up a fictional geometry story, so I used The Wizard of Oz as my inspiration.  The main idea of my story was that certain shapes (i.e. triangle, parallelogram, square, etc.) were needing to see the great, wonderful Oz in order to fix something, whether it be a shortened side length or an angle that needed to be changed... Anyways, this website gave students EXAMPLES of mathematical story books that have been published out in the real world and so much more things that my freshman Geometry teacher never showed because giving instructions on paper has its limitations.  At first, when we got into WebQuests last Tuesday, I didn't think it was all that great... but after playing around questgarden.com that following Thursday, I see all its benefits and why it's so great.  The only problem I can think of is dependent on the students themselves.  Should we expect every child to have access to the internet?  Is the school that I will be working for going to provide every class with at least one computer for those who cannot access the internet anywhere else?  WebQuest is such a great idea, but are we getting a little ahead of ourselves in wanting to implement internet-based technology when there are so many children (and schools) out there that cannot afford these specific commodities?

On another note, I've figured out what super power I want.  When I was younger and had more of a "bad side," I wanted to be invisible.  My family and I lived in Philly and we were pretty broke... So broke that I constantly asked myself, "why did my parents have 5 children? That's too many!"  Therefore, I wanted the ability to be invisible... so I could steal money and get away with it... Thank goodness I grew up and developed many-a-morals.  So in my teens, I wanted the ability to fly -- Who could deny that capability?  Now, after this past, strenuous week, I want the ability to manipulate time.  I wish that the Earth really did move much more slowly.  How do we do it-- as students, I mean.... How do we keep up with our responsibility of being pretty much the "perfect student" when there are so many other tasks that need tending to... like working and making money in order to survive and have some sort of roof over our head... and don't forget about the times when LIFE HAPPENS... like, your car breaks down... or your family who's 3 hours away has a horrendous emergency.  I wish I could just FREEZE time... to just stop everything.  Sometimes I think teachers (especially professors in college) are invincible and just plain NOT human--  There's never been a time in my college career when "life happens" to my professor and he/she had to cancel class -- they're PERFECT (like robots!), and it shocks me as I continue taking classes semester after semester after semester...  This is the way society tells us to be, and that's what we are: multi-tasking students -- we have so many responsibilities, and it amazes me that we're able to do all that we do at such a 'young' age.

No comments:

Post a Comment