About Me

My photo
I've been attending school for 18 consecutive years, and as of now, I am a super SUPER senior at UTK -- Go VOLs! My major is in Mathematics and my minor is in Secondary Education. Thus, I aspire to be a high school math teacher. *I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to teach Calculus*... Now let's go and make some dreams come true!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

High School: To Prepare or Scare

So I just found out that we needed to write a post BEFORE class started today, but I swear I checked the website and somehow overlooked this request... Ah-ha!  I found the "problem"-- the blog assignment was written under announcements rather than in our Section 004 classroom website under February 1st (which is what I'm used to, but I'm not going to point any fingers... *cough cough* Beard).  I only kid -- it is my job as a student to make sure I complete my assignments in a timely manner.  Now let's see what's going on in this noggin of mine...

HIGH SCHOOL:  I realized something a long time ago when I was a freshman at UT in 2004... I don't think high school really prepared me for the fundamentals of college life and education.  I remember my teachers telling me things like, "You better know how to write in cursive because it's crucial for you to carry over this skill into college" and other statements that made college seem very strict with rules and regulations.  Instead of saying so much nonsense throughout my four years in high school, I wish they warned us about the TRUE foundations of college.  For instance, when I become a high school math teacher, I will make sure that I share my college experiences with my students in the best and most honest way that I possibly can... So instead of scaring them with all of the "you gotta do this and that and this, and also that," I want my students to realize that I am, what the young generation calls, keepin' it real.

So let's "keep it real" right now, shall we?  Before going to UTK, I would have loved it if my teachers warned me about the grading system in college since it is extremely different from high school.  From 9th to 12th grade, I was able to make straight A's... Because I was a genius? I think not.  I made the grades that I made because I had so many chances to "up" my test grades (the ones that I obviously did not make an A on) by acing the many, many, MANY quizzes and homework that the teacher assigned us.  In college, however, most of my overall classroom grades were strictly based on 3-4 exams... Wait, let me repeat that: 3 to 4 exams! Thanks for the warning senior teachers.  I truly cannot wait until I can share with my future students about what college is really like:)

No comments:

Post a Comment